Recently a local Salt room opened up not far from me. Several people have called to ask about my experiences with “Salt”. I’ve used using Himalayan salt lamps, blocks & inhalers for years; the wonderful pink Himalayan salt to cook, as a mineral nutrition supplement, to help open up my respiratory system, and to clean the air in my home. I will refer you to the previous post in this series for the benefits of cooking and mineral nutrients The Benefits of Himalayan Salt vs Common Table Salt by Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, ND, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM and Sole Water: minerals for health.
- Salt mines are very dry and have a negative ion environment. This negative ion environment is formed over a period of 250 million years under intense tectonic pressure and nature (rainstorms, waterfalls, lightning, sunlight, ocean waves, and wind). Negative ions helps neutralize and balance the positive ions.
- Salt lamps attract humidity causing the crystals to become moist, creating a buildup of ions and removing moisture from the air. The lamp binds excessive positive ions with the negative ions which helps to neutralize the “electro-smog” in the air and reduces allergens and irritants in the air we breathe. Computers, TV, game consoles etc. lead to an excess of positively charge ions which can cause increased anxiety, nervousness, lack of concentration, and affect our sleep. I keep a large lamp in my office and one in my living room where we keep a TV. Available on Amazon, home and health food stores. Indus Classic Set of 2 Himalayan Salt Lamp, 4-6 lbs. each
- Use a Himalayan salt block on sore muscles to draw out the pain and inflammation. By placing the salt block on my neck I get relief from headaches. I have also used salt blocks on sore muscles.
- Or Cook on it…from apples to flank steak or salmon. Salt blocks have been used by many cultures to prepare and serve food. The minerals in the salt block are absorbed into the food offering added nutrition while seasoning the food.
- As a foot bath, pamper weary feet by adding 1/2 cup of Himalayan salt to a basin of warm water. Relax and soak feet for 20 minutes. If you like, rub away any calluses using a pumice stone. Dry feet, then add two drops of peppermint essential oil to your favorite natural moisturizer, like shea or coconut butter, and rub in thoroughly to lock in the moisture. If you are pregnant or have any health concerns, check with your doctor before using salts or essential oils.
- Himalayan Salt Pipe Inhaler by Squip or SpiritualQuest. The device is based on salt cave therapy also known as Speleo/Halo Therapy, designed to replicate the healing of salt caves. When the air that passes through the salt pipe it comes into contact with the super fine salt crystals, they are absorbed quickly into the respiratory system, giving the person almost immediate relief from most breathing disorders. I use and am happy with the Squip brand. Available on Amazon and health food stores. Squip-Himalayan Salt Air Inhaler, 7.75 Ounce
- Exfoliate dead skin – In the shower or bath, mix a handful of fine Himalayan salt with a tablespoon of bath or olive oil and rub all over your wet skin to exfoliate and soften. Rinse thoroughly.
Global Healing Center. Accessed March 12, 2014. The Benefits of Himalayan Salt Author: Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, ND, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM (May 2009 last revised Sept 2010) http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/himalayan-crystal-salt-benefits/
Saltnews.com, Accessed April 2011 Benefits of Himalayan Salt, Published on May 15, 2009 , Last Updated on April 2, 2011. http://www.saltnews.com/heating-using-cleaning-storing-your-himalayan-salt-block/
Mercola.com, Accessed Aug 5, 2013 Discover this Soothing, Decorative Way to Help Reduce Indoor Air Pllutants and “Electro-Smog” in Areas of Your Home. http://products.mercola.com/himalayan-salt/himalayan-salt-lamps.htm
Our Earth Our Cure by Raymond Dextreit. Publisher: Citadel Pr (October 1993)
Sea salt’s Hidden Powers by Dr. Jacques de Langre, Ph.D12th Edition 1992
Curezone.com, Accessed March 10, 2014. Salts that Heal and Salts that Kill www.curezone.com/foods/saltcure.asp
The Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs, Publisher: www.snowballpublishing.com (June 19, 2013)
Water & Salt, The Essence of Life by Dr. Barbara Hendel, MD and Biophysicist, Peter Ferreira Publisher: Natural Resources (January 1, 2003)